Tuesday 28 February 2012

Moving my cheese.

I lost count of the amount of times I would look out my window at work and say - what the hell am I doing here? I see the sunshine and get jealous of all the people who work out in the fresh air, doing what they love - their work. Mind you, when I worked at the NHMRC, I did have wonderful views of Lake Burley Griffen.  I think to myself, will I ever be happy with what I do for work?  I hope one day the answer is yes.

Earlier on , In May 2010 I enrolled in a CIT adult eductaiton program - Propagation for home gardeners.  This was my first real out of home insight into the life of a tree hugging hippie.  I fell in love with being around like minded people and felt right at home in the brand new start of the art greenhouses.  I learnt all the methods of propagation and bought home many specimens, most of which are now planted in my garden.  This whet my appetite for a bit, but then life got away from me once again, being wrapped up in the insane-ness of trying to start a family. 

Realising that life really is short (you hear it a lot, but it only sinks in every now and then!), it was time to get off my arse and do something about it. Or as I have come to say - Move my cheese (great book by the way, you can read it in one night and It will change your life!) .   I have always wanted to make the transition into horticulture, but my plan was to do so after JJ and I had started a family, and have the benefits of having paid maternity leave, hence having to stay in the public service.  Since my plans of starting a family when I got back from living in London not yet been realised and feeling myself slip into depression yet again (yes, there have been many dark stages of my life where I struggled with depression and anxiety, which = boo. )  In October 2011 I decided it was not going to let this pull me down any further than it already had.  Life goes on and I could not put mine on hold any longer. It was time for a tree change.

The next few months were a whirlwind and a bit of a haze as it has all happened so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment