Monday 2 April 2012

Propagating Magnolia by seed?

I noticed last week that my young yellow lantern Magnolia in my front yard was growing a few ugly blobs which I initially thought were deformed flowers or some type of weird fungus.  Then once my brain kicked in in and actually thought about it I worked out that these were actually the fruits which I had never seen before.  My initial reaction was to get rid of them as they use an enormous amount of energy to grow but it occurred to me that I hadn't actually seen magnolia seeds so left them.   



Over the course of a week or so the pink-ish blobs developed into cone like structures and then popped open showing the seeds.       


I collected the seeds, which are fleshy and bright orange (and look more like beans) then conducted some research on how to get them to germinate.  I had to put the beans in a place where they wouldn't mistakenly get eaten for skittles (hmmm, wonder what they taste like?  bags not trying).


After I collected them I found that the best way to propagate a magnolia is to take a cutting (this is by far the quickest as it takes 1-2 years to flower, as opposed to 10-15 from seed). In saying that, I still want to see if I can grow one from seed.  


From my research, I found that there are many different ways to germinate a magnolia seed.  So I just chose one.  


I soaked the beans in tepid water for 24 hours to help remove the coating.  I then squeezed the bean to force the hard glossy black seeds out, then washed the seeds again to remove any leftover residue. 


After this, I rubbed each seed with coarse sandpaper - the abrasion is needed to help moisture penetrate the hard coat and reach the internal embryo.   


 I then placed the seeds in a labelled bag with damp peat based potting mix and put in the fridge for a couple of months to imitate winter and preserve them. This is known as stratifying and is necessary for the seed embryo to germinate next spring.  



Stay tuned for results!












No comments:

Post a Comment